The PA Foundation invites practicing PAs to apply for an exclusive opportunity to build upon their knowledge of nutrition as it relates to patient care utilizing AAPA resources and special training, and to employ that knowledge in practice and in community outreach efforts.
Everyone can benefit from greater knowledge of nutrition and how it impacts health. The idea behind the Nutrition Outreach Fellowship is to provide a way for PAs, especially those with an interest in community leadership, to receive special training and resources on nutrition to both enhance their clinical practice and to give back to their healthcare peers and the community at large.
2020 Cycle (NOW CLOSED)
Cycle open date: March 23
Application deadline: April 24
All applications must be submitted by PAs who are members in good standing of AAPA.
NOTE: Nutrition Outreach Fellows will serve as presenters of the nutrition outreach curriculum. Fellows should be comfortable presenting to a group of adults and facilitating groups.
How it works:
- PAs will apply through the PA Foundation application portal.
- Fellows will be selected through a competitive, unbiased process based upon criteria determined by the PA Foundation Program Committee and a team of PAs with nutrition-related credentials.
- The Fellows cohort will consist of up to 20 PAs.
- Fellows will be tasked with providing training to a minimum of 100 consumers and 100 healthcare peers in their community over the course of the fellowship year. PA Foundation staff will assist in identifying audiences and coordinating logistics.
Goals of the program:
- Provide training to strengthen PA participants’ knowledge of nutrition and the role it plays in health with emphasis on:
- Prevention and management of type 2 diabetes
- Healthy aging
- Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS)
Programming will include:
- AAPA CME
- Resources for practice and outreach
- Presentations (for community outreach)
- Downloadable patient materials
- Media training on topic
- Private AAPA Huddle group for Nutrition Outreach Fellows (online forum)
- Quarterly calls
The cohort of PA Foundation Nutrition Outreach Fellows will participate in the following:
- A three-day in-person Fellows training to be held June 15-17, 2020*, in Alexandria, VA, to include:
- Training in nutrition content to be presented by Fellows to healthcare peers and community groups
- Media training
Fellows will receive a $1,500 honorarium/stipend for their participation in the program.
The PA Foundation will cover and/or reimburse the cost of the following:
- Airfare/transportation for in-person training
- Lodging for in-person training
- Meals for in-person training
- Mileage for travel to/from community presentations
The training will begin early on June 15; therefore, selected participants traveling to the training will likely need to plan to arrive on June 14.
Fellows will be required to participate in the following and meet the following requirements:
- Attend the in-person Nutrition Outreach Fellows training on June 15-17, 2020*, in Alexandria, VA
- Present to a minimum of 100 consumers and 100 healthcare peers over the course of the fellowship year
- Participate in quarterly calls
- Submit a six-month report and final report to the PA Foundation
The PA Foundation is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. This program is funded through a corporate grant. All Fellows are expected to meet the fellowship requirements listed above. If such requirements are not met, the Foundation Board of Trustees will require full or partial reimbursement of stipend based upon unfulfilled required elements.
View the program overview and requirements document before applying.
Application deadline: April 24, 2020 (now closed)
*Please note: Due to the evolving COVID-19 situation and related guidelines and travel restrictions, the training date is subject to change.
2020 Nutrition Outreach Fellows
This program is generously supported by Abbott Nutrition.